Thursday, August 31, 2006

7.1 and rising!




Hmmm, despite my optimism of a couple of weeks ago, my blood sugar readings are creeping up again. I test once a day, varying the time of day I take a reading, and my average is now up to 7.1, which I'm pretty sure will be enough to convince the hospital I should be taking insulin. I have been drinking more beer than I should lately, which probably hasn't helped, but I've also been doing a fair bit of cycling and swimming, so I suspect that the capability of my pancreas has also taken a bit of a dive.

The beer thing is my one real weakness - I had no trouble giving up cakes, biscuits etc, but find it almost impossible not to have a pint if I'm in a pub! Clearly my binge drinking days are over, but even if I'm out for just a couple of pints a few nights in succession, I can expect the blood sugar levels to start rising. I have until 20th September to get my blood sugar levels down again so will try to cut down as much as possible on the ale, though it's unlikely that I'll cut it out altogether. Crap, I know, but true.

I know that I'll have to inject insulin at some point, and I know that plenty of people do so everyday and just get on with it, including several people I know. I also know that it isn't painful. All the same, I feel apprehensive about what it will mean to have to inject regularly, to carry insulin with me at all times, and to live with the risk of hypos. So far, to be honest, diabetes has not impacted too heavily on my life - apart from making me change my eating and drinking habits, which is no bad thing, so going on to insulin will be the first really major change for me as a diabetic.

Anyway, 20 days to go til my appointment - let's see what happens.

No comments: