Saturday, August 26, 2006

Paperclip stuck in my heart...


This is me with punk rock legend Patrik Fitzgerald at the 12 Bar Club last night. It was his first London gig in 9 years, as he's been living in semi-retirement in New Zealand, but was lured back to Britain by a resurgence of interest in his songs.

He was a real DIY music pioneer. Some of his early records were recorded in his bedroom in East London, and it was pretty inspiring to hear him on the radio in my bedroom in Suffolk during my formative years. My friend David and I wrote to him in 1979 to ask for the words and chords to his song 'Ragged Generation For Real', and were totally thrilled to receive a handwritten reply from him (which David still has to this day).

It was great to finally meet him, and to interview him for the radio. The gig was brilliant - he played most of the well known old stuff - 'Trendy', 'Irrelevant Battles', 'The Bingo Crowd', 'Safety Pin Stuck In My Heart', - as well as some cool new stuff. Hopefully he'll be back in the UK again sometime next year.

No comments: