Wednesday, September 20, 2006

In the clear!



D day today. Had to go to Guy's Hospital to see what the verdict was on me going on to insulin. My blood sugar level has been pretty good for the last month so I was pretty confident, but it all depended on the level of my HbA1c, or 'glycated haemoglobin' as it's known to its friends. They test for this at the hospital to get a more accurate picture of blood glucose levels over the previous three months. The goal for a diabetic is less than 7, and I came in at 6.6, so I don't need to take insulin for the moment, which is good news.

So more cycling, less beer and more reading the ingredients of everything I buy from the supermarket. Have a look at how much sugar there is in muesli, for example...Tesco's wholewheat variety has the lowest count I can find and that's still about 15g per 100! Good job I like porridge.

The beard is coming off tomorrow as it's beginning to resemble Saddam Hussein's (though you can't blame the facial hair for the evil-doing, he only had a moustache when in power, remember). Still, I don't want to frighten my new students too much and one of my neighbours told me that it looked 'dirty', so it's out with the razor tomorrow.

No comments: