Monday, December 29, 2008

Leiston Aces


Here's a blast from the past. Continuing the theme established by the Francis Bacon painting below, this is a picture from my cycle speedway days, when I used to ride for Leiston Aces. Look at those bikes! This was way back before single speed bikes could ever be considered vaguely fashionable. I remember my bike was given to me by a bloke my dad worked with: check out the straight front forks! I don't recall whether they were supposed to give me any kind of advantage, but I wasn't a great advertisement for their beneficial qualities if they did have any. It was all about gating as I remember and in this picture Dean Freeman, whose Dad was the landlord of the Royal Standard, is making a flying start. To my left is Robert Adams - he was in the Fifth Element you know, and was also the bassist in the band we formed at school, The S-Men, as well as the original line-up of Heave. On the starting line, having just let the tape fly, is the legendary Eric 'The Shout' Cracknell, and one of his sons, I think Mark, is to my right. In the background is another Leiston legend, Skid the window cleaner, recently seen on TV during Leiston Town FC's FA Cup run. I reckon this picture was taken in early '78, which doesn't do much for my punk rock credentials. If you look very carefully though, you can just make out a Stranglers badge on Robert's jacket.

5 comments:

David Titlow said...

Oss! what an amazing picture, should be in the Leiston archives - the legendary 'straight forks' set up - definitely gave some extra advantage although I am not sure what either - looked more pro maybe -

Get Callaghan said...

I thought it was all about the stickers, that made you faster?

Happy new year!

Rogerb said...

I was one of the original Leiston Aces...helped dig the track and wasthfirst to score a max in a league match....great memories.

Steven Kennard said...

Hi,
my name is Steven kennard and I am the photographer that took the photos of the Leiston Aces including this one. I just came across this by accident when searching for Eric Cracknell as I have a photo of him that I have posted on Facebook during Leiston Week in the seventies.
I still have all the original negatives from those days.
The link for the photo of Eric is http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30860408&id=1236472776
You can contact me if you want at info@shadowsandlight.ca
All the best
Steve

Paul Clarke said...

Hello Simon,

Great photo which I came across by chance. I also remember digging the track as well and racing together with you guys and Robin Talkington (s?). It was a lot of fun, and when I look back good of Skid and the other guys to entertain us. (We should all turn up and take him for a beer sometime!)

Good to see you guys from the S-men still hang out together after 30 odd years.