Saturday, March 29, 2008

Brighton Breezy









Starting to get in training for this year's Dunwich Dynamo, I spent a couple of days cycling in East Sussex with Spratticus and Ian. The weather was pretty extreme, and on Thursday we went from being pelted by high velocity icy needles of hail to basking in glorious sunshine within 45 minutes. Picked up a discarded baseball bat on the way and stopped in for a couple of marvellous pints at the Harvey's brewery tap in Lewes, just across the road from the brewery itself.It was at this point that the sun started shining, which is as much evidence as I've ever seen for the existence of God. From there we went upwards and onwards in a 40 mile loop before returning to Brighton to claim a magnificent joint 3rd in a pub quiz. For me blood sugar and cycling exist in a carb-on/offsetting relationship so with all those miles under my belt I felt I had licence to indulge a little more than usual. In addition to breaking my usual 3-pint rule this also meant a massive fry-up the next day at the Carat Cafe at Portslade, where we sought refuge from even more horrendous weather. Looks like I just about got the balance right as I'm still registering respectable blood sugar readings. Top laughs too - cheers chaps!

1 comment:

Get Callaghan said...

I am beginning to wonder whether we just got lucky with a couple of pleasant summers, and now, the British weather is back to normal?

Crikey, I sound like an MP, and a
Tory one.