Monday, February 05, 2007

Sang douce


Just got back from my six-monthly diabetic MOT at the gloomy obelisk that is Guy's hospital. Been struggling to get my blood sugar readings below double figures since they took a hike over Xmas, so was bracing myself for being told time it was time to go on to insulin: my HbA1c (3 month average) is 8, so a little over the level they'd like it be, and higher than it has been previously.

I see a different doctor every time I'm there, so never know quite what, or who to expect. Fortunately this time it wasn't the clinically depressed Irishman struggling to operate his computer who I saw last year, but a much more personable endocrinologist. She didn't seem too alarmed by the readings and suggested that instead of insulin, I try metformin, which comes in tablet form and helps the body to make better use of the insulin it produces - it's usually prescribed for Type 2 'betics, who are insulin resistant rather than insulin deficient. So that's two more tablets for me to take every day, but at least it means I now qualify for free prescriptions.

The doctor also warned me that the tablets may cause diarrhoea, so instead of injecting needles I could be shitting through the eye of one. Stay tuned for further developments!

2 comments:

David Titlow said...

sounds smelly! maybe leaving out the adnams will help?
any tobymeister news? glad u dont need needles-can you get me some valiums on free script?

the oxo said...

Leaving out the adnams???? I'd rather stick needles in my thighs!